My review for one of my most anticipated reads of the summer is here! It’s time for Angel Catbird, by Margaret Atwood, Johnnie Christmas and Tamra Bonvillain.
Get this from Book Depository
Lauded novelist Margaret Atwood and acclaimed artist Johnnie Christmas collaborate on one of the most highly anticipated comic book and literary events of the year!
On a dark night, young genetic engineer Strig Feleedus is accidentally mutated by his own experiment and merges with the DNA of a cat and an owl. What follows is a humorous, action-driven, pulp-inspired superhero adventure– with a lot of cat puns.
Published in over thirty-five countries, Margaret Atwood is one of the most important living writers of our day and is the author of more than forty books of fiction, poetry, and critical essays. Her work has won the Man Booker Prize, the Giller Prize, Premio Mondello, and more. Angel Catbird is her first graphic novel series.
- very fun(nny) once you get into the weirdness
- crazy humour and as many puns (specially animal and cat related) as any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie
- Margaret is just beyond anything — plot wise, writing wise AND humour wise
- insanely good art (believe me, animal hybrids are very hard to do)
- ridiculous amount of bonus art, which is awesome since you really see the progress of the characters and the colouring process as well
- cute little cat facts at the bottom of some pages
- might be a bit weird to get into
Although it’s probably going to be hard to understand and emerge at first, once you do, it’s definitely worth it. It doesn’t take itself too serious, which can be hard to find in comics (even if so nowadays). The writing and the art pair themselves beautifully and honestly, I want to read more. Definitely recommend!
So, have any of you read this? If so, any thoughts? Also, please let me know what you think about the review format too. Not sure if it will suffer some changes with time but so far, I think this is what I’m going to go with! At least for now.
See you guys soon,